Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Pop Icons

A pop icon is something in pop culture that is recognized by most people, such as a celebrity, TV show character, or an object. The three icons I chose are Britney Spears, Lady Gaga, and Mario. I feel that all three have played a major roll in pop culture today and years ago.

The first icon, Britney Spears, I chose because when she first became really famous in the the late 90s, everyone wanted to be like her. She defined pop music. Spears has had a rough time in the spotlight lately with the media seeing her in a negative way, but she has been able to overcome that and she is still making records and her new songs are being played all over the radio. After all she has been through, she has been able to overcome the struggles and negativity and make a great comeback.




The next icon I chose is Lady Gaga. She has become a star in the eyes of the media basically overnight. Recently, she beat out Oprah Winfrey on the Forbes Celebrity 100 list of the most powerful people. Everyone knows her songs, and they have even been featured on shows such as Glee and Gossip Girl. Be it her outrageous outfits, he controversial songs, or rumors of her being a hermaphrodite, Lady Gaga is redefining pop icon. She has hit the ground running and she isn't about to stop any time soon.


The last icon I chose is one that all will recognize: Mario! Mario first made his debut in 1981 in the video game Donkey Kong. In 1983 Mario Bros. came out, and that was the start of his fame. Mario is an iconic video game character and is still around today. My parents grew up playing Mario, and even today I still enjoy the occasional game of Mario Kart. Anyone who has played a video game has most likely at one point played a video game with Mario in it. He is a pop icon, and probably one of the most recognized video game characters in the world.


I have grown up with these icons and that is why I have chosen them. I can remember dressing up and dancing to Britney Spears' "Baby One More Time" when I was younger, trying to learn the dance moves to some of Lady Gaga's videos, and smoking my sister in Mario Kart. All three of these icons are important to me, and I feel that they will continue to be important to those younger than me.

1 comment:

  1. Dear Kaitelyn
    Your icons are great. I like that you chose Mario. I remember playing Donkey Kong as a kid. My sister and I would save up our money from doing odd in end jobs for mom and dad. We would go to the pizza place down the street from our house and play all day. I also like both Britney and Lady Gaga. I think that that they are great artist and performers. Great choses.

    ReplyDelete